Advertisement

Gov't begins paying compensation to persons affected by West Kingston operation

Justice Minister Delroy Chuck
 
Headway has been made in the payment of compensation to persons who suffered losses in the May 2010 security forces operation in West Kingston following last week's announcement by the Prime Minister that payouts will be made to score of persons.
 
Justice Minister Delroy Chuck said more than 900 claims were submitted to the West Kingston Compensation Committee - 418 of which were approved.
 
Mr. Chuck on Wednesday disclosed that 42 beneficiaries have so far submitted information to receive payment through Restorative Justice centres in Denham Town and Tivoli Gardens.
 
The government wants the process completed before the end of the year.
 
"We will be asking all the beneficiaries to visit the restorative justice centres to provide the necessary information which will include a valid TRN, their bank account information and valid identification," Mr. Chuck announced. 
 
He said the government will not be paying the beneficiaries via cash or cheque, but through a direct bank account. 
 
Those who do not possess a bank account have been asked to inform Restorative Justice Centre managers so they may be assisted in creating an account. 
 
"We will ask the relevant banks to try to waive whatever fees so that these persons can open a bank account for us to pay directly into those bank accounts," he declared. 
 
Mr. Chuck explained that a number of people who claimed for damage to property would have been rejected because they had already been compensated by the Ministry of Labour for the same item listed in the claim. However, had they received only a partial repayment at the time, the Compensation Committee would have granted them the difference of the value of the whatever property was lost. 


comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
West Indians lose latest practice game in...
JFF planning benefit fund initiative for...
CWI boss wants more committment from Windies...