Prime Minister Andrew Holness and Anthony Hylton, Member of Parliament for St. Andrew Western
With up to US$150 million estimated for the construction of a new drainage network in Kingston and St. Andrew, Prime Minister Andrew Holness has said the administration is mulling how it will be funded.
The issue of flooding in the Corporate Area was discussed in the House of Representatives on Tuesday after three days of heavy rains left streets inundated.
Mr. Holness said the National Works Agency (NWA) last year completed a master drainage study which provides a comprehensive overview of the gaps in the national drainage system.
He said a request for proposals for the design of the drainage system for Kingston and St. Andrew has been completed and should "go to contracting within a month."
He said some of the works will be funded from the budget under the Greater Infrastructure Development Programme.
Drain cleaning funds
Meanwhile, following complaints from opposition Members of Parliament about the funds allocated for drain cleaning, Mr. Holness said Cabinet will determine whether the $1 million can be increased.
Anthony Hylton, Member of Parliament for St. Andrew Western, said he has been appealing for an increase in the allocation due to the danger facing low lying communities in his constituency, which includes the Sandy Gully.
However, Mr. Holness encouraged Members of Parliament to use the $1 million, to at least, clear the entrances to drains.
At the same time, he said the concerns will be discussed during the Cabinet retreat next week.