Prime Minister Andrew Holness and Transport Minister Robert Montague
Prime Minister Andrew Holness has said the government will be vigilant to ensure that the new operator of the Norman Manley International Airport adheres to all the terms and conditions of its 25 year concession agreement.
The Government and Mexican firm Grupo Aeroportuario del PacÌfico (GAP) on Wednesday morning signed the agreement to manage the airport under a public-private partnership.
"I have no doubt that our friends who will now be operating the Norman Manley International Airport, will proceed in good faith with the agreement. But were that not to happen...the government will follow the legal process and the regulatory process to enforce," the Prime Minister asserted.
GAP, which was selected last month by the Development Bank of Jamaica (DBJ), will be responsible for improving the efficiency of both landside and airside operations at Norman Manley International during the concession period.
Mr. Holness said the agreement will allow for the expansion of the runway at Norman Manley International and help spur economic growth through international investments, all while being less of a risk to the government.
GAP will also finance and complete the modernisation and expansion of the airport's facilities.
The Mexican firm already has 74.5 per cent control of Sangster International Airport through consortium MBJ Airports in partnership with Vantage Group of Canada.
In the meantime, Transport Minister Robert Montague announced that the government will be constructing more aerodromes in Jamaica.
"The government is committed to general aviation and its expansion. When I was a child, we had 52 active aredromes in Jamaica. Today, we have eight, and we're determined to do something about it," he said.