Advertisement

Health Minister tackled about figures related to dengue deaths

Dr. Morais Guy
 
The Health Minister is being tackled about statistics and numbers presented in relation to the number of suspected and confirmed dengue-related deaths in Jamaica.
 
Opposition Spokesman on Health Dr. Morais Guy has asked questions that he says need to be answered by the Minister to clear up misconceptions in the public domain.
 
Dr. Guy believes the number of dengue-related deaths is not adding up.
 
"On October 8, the minister said in the parliament that there were 135 suspected and confirmed dengue-related deaths, 47 cases in 2018 and 88 cases in 2019. He comes back to the parliament however, on the 12th of November, and says that there were 61 suspected and confirmed deaths, of which 17 were in 2018 and 44 in 2019.... How do you get from 135 to only 61 now?" he contended.
 
The country has been grappling with an onslaught of the illness which is spread by the Aedes egypti mosquito.
 
The Government recently announced it will be spending $1 billion over the next three months to support measures to contain the spread of dengue.
 
But Dr. Guy argued that the Health Minister could have acted much earlier in implementing the dengue intervention programme. 
 
"When he presented in the parliament in October, I begged him to ask the Minister of Finance for more funds.... But now we see, in light of the fact that so many of our young people have died, that he has gotten $1 billion approved by the Cabinet to go into this programme. It means, as I've said before, that this minister has acted too late. He fiddles while Rome burnt," Dr. Guy lamented. 
 


comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
CEO of Kingston Wharves retires
Almost 3,000 JDF members deployed to help...
Companies urged to take advantage of JAMPRO's...