The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) says it is hopeful that by next month, the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) will state its intentions in response to the ruling of the Supreme Court last week.
The ruling, handed down on July 30, gave INDECOM the greenlight to carry out a search at the JDF headquarters as part of its probe into the May 2010 security forces' operations in West Kingston.
Terrence Williams, head of INDECOM, said he has been studying the written judgement but is awaiting the position of the JDF before he continues with the matter.
The JDF was seeking to quash the search warrant obtained by INDECOM in January 2016.
According to Mr. Williams, the court had rejected the view that INDECOM's investigation was a disproportionate use of power and also rejected the submissions of the JDF and the Defence Board that INDECOM could not execute the warrant, given that the security operation took place in May 2010 while INDECOM came into effect in August 2010.
The court also refused the JDF's application for a declaration that its members are restricted from providing evidence under oath which reveals information in breach of the Official Secrets Act.
The sole victory for the JDF was the unanimous decision to block INDECOM from gaining access to the operational orders that guided the West Kingston operation.