Foreign Affairs Minister Senator Kamina Johnson Smith has announced an 82 per cent reduction in the number of Jamaicans denied entry to Trinidad and Tobago for the period March 2016 to March 2017.
Mrs Johnson Smith says there have also been fewer complaints of mistreatment.
"We think that all of the paths have come together - bilateral, individual, and from being better informed - as well as the meeting of the commitments by the Government of Trinidad in terms of training their immigration personnel, in terms of preparing a comfortable and accommodating surrounding for persons who are denied or who might be delayed entry into Trinidad," the minister asserted at a press briefing at her Dominica Drive office in New Kingston on Thursday morning.
She said the ministry has received only one formal report of a Jamaican being refused entry into the twin-island republic in February this year.
Last year, numerous Jamaicans complained about being mistreated by immigration officials at the Piarco International Airport after they had been refused entry into the country.