Mixed views for PM Holness, Gov't performance - RJRGleaner/Don Anderson poll

Don Anderson
Prime Minister Andrew Holness has received mixed reviews from the Jamaican population about his performance since taking office a little more than two years ago. 
A third of the population found favour in his performance. But similarly, another third gave the Prime Minister poor performance ratings, while the final third thought he was average. 
Those are the findings of the latest RJR Gleaner Group Don Anderson poll. 
According to pollster Don Anderson, who broke down the figures, 19 per cent of the 1,070 people interviewed rated the performance of Prime Minister Andrew Holness to date as being 'very poor', compared to 15 per cent who said it was 'poor'. That is a cumulative rating of 34 per cent of persons who rated the Prime Minister negatively. 
On the other hand, 17 per cent felt the performance of Mr. Holness was 'good' and another 16 per cent said his performance was 'very good' - a cumulative rating of 33 per cent who rated him positively. 
Mr. Anderson said the other 33 per cent of people rated the Prime Minister's performance as 'average'. 
But Mr. Holness managed to get slightly better ratings than his administration. 
The performance of the Holness-led government received a cumulative 38 per cent negative rating from the population. 
"Seventeen per cent rated the performance of the government to be 'very poor'; 21 per cent rated the performance to be 'poor'," Mr. Anderson outlined. 
In comparison, 14 per cent rated the government's performance as 'good' and 12 per cent rated the performance as 'very good' - a cumulative positive rating of 26 per cent for the government.
Again, another large chunk of the population - 36 per cent - rated the government's performance to date as 'average'. 
With regards to the best performing ministers, Health Minister Dr. Christopher Tufton was the overwhelming favourite with 36 per cent. In second was Education Minister Ruel Reid at 12 per cent and third was Finance Minister Audley Shaw at 11 per cent. 
Robert Montague, Minister of National Security, was ranked the worst performing minister at 30 per cent. 
Audley Shaw reappears on the worst performing list, coming second with 18 per cent. 
Minister of Local Government Desmond McKenzie was ranked the third worst performing minister at 11 per cent. 
According to Mr. Anderson, the findings of the current study reinforce earlier findings about the direction in which the country is going. 
"They have a generally negative view of the Opposition, they have a generally negative view of the role and performance of the Government and of the Prime Minister, and overall, therefore, these numbers show that people really do believe the country is not going in the right direction," he purported. 

comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
More trouble for Fly Jamaica
Jamaica to host next 2019 CHICOS
Atkinson qualifies for 50m breaststroke final...