Mayor of Montego Bay Homer Davis has said he remains optimistic in the ability of the police to cauterise the bloodletting in St. James, despite the increase in murders.
From January 1 to November 2 this year, the parish, which is under a state of emergency, recorded 125 murders, compared to 84 in the last period.
Since Sunday, there have been at least four murders and four shootings.
The latest incident occurred on Wednesday when 30 year old Ricardo Forbes was shot dead on the compound of Cornwall Gardens Basic School in Mount Salem.
National Security Minister Dr. Horace Chang said the police are theorising that Mr. Forbes' murder stemmed from a dispute he had with another man several days ago.
In an interview with RJR News on Wednesday, Mr. Davis agreed with Dr. Chang that this week has been a bad one for the police.
However, he expects the situation to improve in the days ahead when the police will launch an elite team to tackle crime in Montego Bay.
Mr. Davis again dismissed criticism of the state of emergency in St. James. He said despite there being an increase in murders over the same period last year, the murder figure is still lower than it was in 2017.
"A lot is being done. Let us not dilute the effort of our security forces," he urged.